Yes, my dirty little secret is out...... I've never made Christmas decorations! Shock, horror, gasp! The closest I've gotten to making anything Christmas'y are my kids santa sacks - and they were very basic. But it's ok, I've changed my ways - because on Saturday, I made a table runner! A Christmas table runner! Hoorah!
I bought some 1/4 yards of Hip Holiday a few months ago, because I wanted to attempt some Christmas goodies. But what? I started adding projects to my Pinterest board a while ago, but in the end, just made something up! So here it is.....
Isn't she lovely? So this is how I made it - I cut out a bunch of 4.5" squares, laid them all out on the floor, and worked out where I wanted my wonky star to be amongst it. Once I had the layout sorted, I got to making the points for my wonky star, then popped them back in the layout (I use this tutorial if I ever need a refresher!). I then got to sewing them all together in rows. Once all the rows were done, I sewed all the rows together - Easy! This took me probably all of an hour and a half to do!
Then came the really fun part - the quilting! I sat and stared at the finished quilt top for a bit, trying to figure out how to quilt it. I chose my go to Aurifil silver/grey #2605 in 50wt, whacked the walking foot on, and started straight lining it. Basically straight down each and every seam - 1/4" out. I went around the star also.
The walking foot came off, and the fmq foot went on! I switched over to Aurifil #2024 - nice shimmery white. I left the grey in my bobbin though - I don't do this often - don't ask me why!? But because the backing on this was a plain white, I wanted to try letting the quilting really show. I did some nice little swirls, which are almost the same as the swirls on silver in the fabric.
The back shows everything!
The other thing I tried for the FIRST TIME EVER - was burying my threads. Now I had heard Gemma talking about burying threads before, but had no idea really what on earth it meant, but last week she explained it in her post HERE, and I thought "what the hell". I was sick of worrying about my reverse stitch coming undone. So with nothing to lose, I started burying! I LOVE the end result! You can see on the photo of the back of this runner where I have reverse stitched before I started burying, no more reverse stitching for this little duck!!!!! The burying of
heads stitches was not half as tricky as I had imagined - quite simple really. And it gives a far more professional end result.
So that my friends, is the latest in my quilting repertoire! Always learning, always learning.....
**This table runner is for sale over on my FB page HERE.
I'm linking up with I Quilt Linky Party & T.G.I.F.F. - OctoberQuest 2 - You can too!