Monday, January 19, 2015

Sewing For Sydney - Team Blue!

You may have heard about a wonderful quilting collaboration - Sewing For Sydney - happening at the moment?  The delightful Molli Sparkles came up with a wonderful idea - to make quilts for the families of the two people who were sadly killed during the Lindt Cafe siege in Sydney before Christmas.  I was totally on board the day I saw the call out, and whipped up five blocks and sent them off.

A few days later, I noted just how many blocks Molli was receiving, which meant his goal of making a "couple" of quilts was going to be very quickly blown out of the water, and he may just need a little help?  I sent him a quick message, telling him I'd be more than happy to put a quilt top together if need be.  It was a resounding yes, and a couple of weeks later, 168 lovely little hashtag blocks arrived on my doorstep.

We have a layout! My 6 & 10 year olds just asked what I was making? I just explained the whole story of how @molli_sparkles and the world of quilters have come together and who the quilts were for and why. They were both very impressed and thought it was

And a couple of hours later, I had a layout, ready to sew together.  It was a very random layout, as requested by Molli, and I loved the way the colours all looked!

Done! #teamblue has a completed quilt top.....just needs pressing, which will have to wait until I get home from work tomorrow morning! #glitteratitotherescue #sewingforsydney @molli_sparkles

The quilt top was reasonably quick and easy to put together - it helped that I was directed not to worry about lining up the hashtag seams - cos that wasn't going to happen!!!

Hashtag Quilt For Sydney 

Yesterday was our Melbourne Modern Quilt Guild's sit n sew day.  I took the quilt top along, as the Blue Team's baton was being handed over to Andrea - a fellow Melbourne quilter who had offered to put the backing and binding together.  We showed the guild members - some of whom had contributed blocks to the cause.  It was a really lovely way to demonstrate how a community of quilters, from ALL over the world, can come together to hopefully bring some cheer to families who have lost such a dear loved one.

Hashtag Quilt For Sydney

So, this lovely quilt top will soon be off to our Team Blue's long arm quilter, for some magic to happen, before it is bound and sent back to Molli for distribution!

So - I just want to send out a big THANK YOU to Molli, for allowing me to be a part of this bigger picture.  You've done a good thing girlfriend. xxx

7 comments:

  1. You are so sweet! Really, I couldn't be doing any of this without the fabulous generosity and spirit of the quilting community. I am so honoured that you took this to your guild meeting to demonstrate what it looks like when we all work together to achieve a common goal. This really is love personified in a quilt! Kisses to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great to see these coming together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so wonderful. Quilters always come together in times of crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way the quilting and craft community rally to a cause. #goteamblue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't these Hashtag quilts look great? I am sure the 2 families are going to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look so awesome. Was fun being able to make blocks for a cause. Well done sewing them together. I think I would have been stressing about lining those seams up! but that would be ridiculous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks wonderful! With so many people contributing from all over I'm not surprised matching up the hash blocks wasn't going to happen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment - I read each and every one of them! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...