Last year I joined a quilting bee - the QCA Bee #5 to be exact! I ummed and ahhed about whether to continue this year. I was a little disappointed with a couple of the blocks I received for my quilt, however, I really enjoyed getting to know other quilty peeps, and learning new techniques and challenging myself a little. So I stayed! Our bee was meant to be starting up again in February, but we had over half the members leave and a whole bunch of newbies join, and everyone keen to begin, so it's already started!
Cue panic stations. Not from the Queen bee for the month - Lisa - no, even with a newborn baby, she knew exactly which block she would like us to make her and posted the details within 24 hours! How's that for organised?!!?!? Her request? The Stamp Collection block, using THIS tutorial by Oh, Fransson! After being a little perplexed for a few minutes, I jumped in, went to Lincraft this morning and got interfacing and calico, and began just after lunch today.
Lisa requested red, black and grey for the colour theme, and for it to be predominantly red. So I pulled all of those from my stash (excluding cutesy prints!) and got cutting.
The tutorial uses a technique I'd never even heard of, let alone tried. It directs you to use a piece of fabric (I used calico) and draw a 20" x 20" grid, with 2" squares. You then place a piece of lightweight interfacing over the top of it, and place your 2" squares on top of the grid like above. And you then take the iron to it! Now, I didn't think too much about it, and had to iron the fabric on to the interfacing whilst it was all like this on my cutting board! That was interesting……
Three hours after beginning, I had this divine block! I was a tad frustrated after sewing the first lot of seams, as it was apparent that it would not end up being 15.5" finished block size as the tutorial states. I checked and double checked with the tutorial, and it didn't state to use a scant 1/4" seam allowance, but, if I were to do it again - I would!
And this is how ridiculously neat and tidy the back of this block ends up looking!
All in all, this was a really enjoyable block to make! The cutting of the 100 x 2" squares was a little tedious, but not overly hideous! I'm really looking forward to seeing the other 11 ladies' blocks! And I'm contemplating whether I will make this block again!
So there you have it - my first bee block finished for 2014!
I'm linking up with Sew Cute Tuesday - You can too!