Saturday, May 31, 2014

Radiating Sparklers - A Tutorial

Many months ago, I promised you all a tutorial for a little block I like to call "Radiating Sparkler".  Well, today is the day!

I first came across this block whilst doing the Fat Quarter Shop Designer Mystery Block of The Month.  And instantly fell in love with it!

May as we'll keep going! @fatquartershop #mysterybom block by @katespain


When it came to thinking about which block I would like my QCA Bee #5 to make for me back in March, I kept coming back to this block.  After an extensive search on the interwebs, with no results, I ended up emailing Kate Spain, who is the fabulous designer of this block, and asked her permission to share her tutorial with my Bee.  Kate very graciously replied and gave me the thumbs up!

I finished my experiment @katespain

I got cracking and made up my "radiating colour" version of the block to see if it would actually work!  And it did!  So here is my twist on Kate Spain's "Sparklers" block design.  I hope you like it!

Let's go!

DSC_0092 

The first task is finding five fabrics in the same colour, but different shades.  You want a good progression from light to dark/bright.  You don't need much fabric for each block, a fat eighth is plenty big.  You also need a background fabric, for my blocks, I am using white.

LETTERS

Then it's time to cut:

Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 4.33.41 PM

Now let's get sewing!  Use a scant 1/4" seam.

DSC_0096

Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of the fabric L squares and Fabric F squares.  

DSC_0097

With right sides facing, layer a fabric L square on the left end of a fabric I rectangle.

DSC_0098

Stitch on the drawn line and trim 1/3" away from the seam.  (This is how you will trim the other blocks that ask for same instructions).

DSC_0099

Press to one side.  Then take your fabric F square and place on the other end of the rectangle, sewing along the marked line.

DSC_0100

Trim and press.  This gives you your first two blocks.  They should measure 2 1/2" x 4 1/2".  Put to one side.

DSC_0101

Draw a diagonal line on your H fabric squares and right sides facing, lay on to a Fabric K square and Fabric D square.

DSC_0102

Stitch 1/4" on either side of the marked line to make four HST's.

DSC_0103

Cut down the middle on the marked line and press.  These blocks should measure 2 1/2" x 2 1/2".

DSC_0104

Assemble your F/I/L block and your D/H block as shown on the left.  Then take your K/H blocks and attach to your M square as shown on the right.

DSC_0105

Assemble those three blocks together as shown above.  Put to one side.

DSC_0106

Draw a diagonal line on the wrong sides of the fabric C squares.

DSC_0107

Place them on top of the right sides of your fabric E rectangles, with the line facing as shown above.  Stitch on the drawn line.

DSC_0108

Draw a diagonal line on your fabric G squares, then place on top of your fabric A rectangles as shown above.  Stitch on the drawn line.

DSC_0109

Trim and press as show above.  These should measure 2 1/2" x 3 1/2".

DSC_0110

Trim and press as above.  These should measure 3 1/2" x 4 1/2".

DSC_0111

Draw a diagonal line on your fabric J squares.  Place on top of your G/A blocks as shown above and stitch on the line.

DSC_0112

Trim and press as shown above.

DSC_0113

Assemble the last two blocks together as shown above.  These should measure 3 1/2" x 6 1/2".

DSC_0114

Take all of your finished blocks and assemble them as shown above, adding in your fabric B squares.  I sew my the top three, middle three and bottom three together, and then sew the three rows together.

DSC_0115

And you're finished!  The finished block should measure 12 1/2" square!

Radiating Sparkler Quilt Top

And when you receive all your bee blocks, and throw in a few mini sparklers - you get this!  I will have a little old tutorial for the mini sparklers in a couple of days for you!

So - what do you think?  Will you be making some radiating sparklers for yourself??  If you do, then be sure to show me!  Use the hashtag #radiatingsparkler on IG and FB!

Have a wonderful weekend! xx

I'm linking up - You can too!
stitch by stitch

10 comments:

  1. Love this! I am going to put it on my list of summer quilts to sew. Thanks for sharing a tutorial for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this block, thanks for the tutorial! Any way to get this in pdf form? I can never find these when I want to try something new :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this - thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a great rainbow scrap buster! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Thank you for sharing. One day I might actually make it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. stoppying by from the linky party Anything Goes Monday. come visit my blog, I have a giveaway.. love the block

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that block...will need to bookmark this. Thanks for visiting Anything Goes Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! Might be next on my 'teaching myself how to quilt' list :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment - I read each and every one of them! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...