Monday, October 19, 2009

Playgroup

–noun
a group of small children, esp. preschoolers, organized for play or play activities and supervised by adult volunteers.

Hmmm....I think we've been doing it wrong? I thought I would look up the definition after another manic morning of playgroup - here at my house. For the past 11 years, I have taken part in various playgroups, and am happy to say, the mothers I have attended with have all had the same definition as myself:

-noun
a group of grown women, esp. mothers, organised for tea and coffee, whilst their children play unsupervised - as long as they are happy and quiet!

I wonder how many other play groups have the same definition? I mean, seriously, how many mothers join playgroup solely for their children to enjoy themselves? Some of the greatest friendships I have, have been made through playgroup. And they certainly didn't grow in to the beautiful relationships they are, bonding over glue and cellophane. It was the tea and coffee!

Yes, playgroup is great, because it's held at a centre where you don't have to worry about the mess, noise, and general mayhem. But it's also held so that like-minded mothers (parents) can sit back and ''relax'' whilst their children run wild. Love it!

Quote for the day - ''When my kids become wild and unruly, I use a nice, safe playpen. When they're finished, I climb out.'' ~Erma Bombeck. Found this little quote and found it quite appropriate! There is at least one day out of every week, where I would love to find that nice, safe playpen and just disappear for a little while! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment - I read each and every one of them! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...