Friday, October 25, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Swoon Bed Quilt

A big thank you to Amy's Creative Side for organising the Blogger's Quilt Festival, so those of us who can't get to Quilt Market have something to get excited about!  I've decided to enter my most beloved Swoon in to the Bed Quilt category.  You can see the original post HERE.  I will have another post shortly for my second entry :)

Those of you who have been around here for a while would have seen many a blog post about this quilt, the whole process was dissected each week through photos.  And you all shared my excitement, which made putting it together even more exhilarating than ever!

I had my fat quarter bundle of Joel Dewberry's Notting Hill for months, and after much searching and thinking about how I would use it, I stumbled across the Swoon phenomena!  I had absolutely no idea that this quilt pattern had swept the world, but was happy to be joining in!


Swoon finished!

I became rather obsessed with getting the quilt finished, and managed to get it all done in a matter of weeks.  I was able to fussy cut the centre blocks in all but one of them, which was quite an effort given they're all cut from fat quarters.  I tried to choose the prints in each block so that they would accentuate the amazing colours and not overpower each other.  I was pleasantly surprised with the colour balance when I'd completed then all.

 I sent it off to the quilter (the first time I've had a quilt quilted by someone else!) and was stunned with the end result!  The binding went on quickly and that night, I put my kids to work holding this huge baby up!  Bella the cat inspected it and was very happy.

Swoon finished!

The backing was made up of rows of left over Notting Hill and the white broadcloth I used for the top. And then lots of yardage of this divine print.

Swoon Finished!

I'm happy to say it lives very happily on our bed.  I'm not very happy to say that Bella still loves the quilt, and leaves her black hair as a calling card.....

Swoon Finished!

The gorgeous all over quilting design.

✔ #swoon #swoonalong  better photos on the blog this week!

And the quilt that took over our lounge room.

I say it with most of the quilts I make, but I think this really is my all time favourite.  Perhaps just because it was made for me, right from the time I purchased the fabric.


In the details: Machine pieced on my Bernina.  Finished size: 90" x 90".  Machine Quilted by Jeanette @ Gone Aussie Quilting.


AmysCreativeSide

20 comments:

  1. I have seen many many swoons, but this is one of my absolute favorites! I love the bright colors and the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, I love me a Swoon! This is a really pretty one :-) Enjoy the festival!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Cheryl. The color combinations you used within each block are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt...mine still isn't quilted!! Love the quilting pattern

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a sucker for a swoon quilt. This is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely. Good to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is just a beautiful as I remembered! Extra special that it lives on your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great entry! Swoon is such a wonderful pattern. Fantastic effort to quilt it on your machine because its not a small quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Swoon quilts are such fun. I love seeing them pop up all over blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gotta love a good swoon, and love the cat inspection :oD

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you're entering this quilt. I love Swoon quilts, and yours is just gorgeous!


    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful - wonderful fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey! The Dewberry fabrics were so perfect for this quilt!!! Absolutely love your Swoon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this fabric line. You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this just as much as the first time I saw it. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! I can see why Bella loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great selection of fabrics for your Swoon quilt. I love carpenter stars, they are so fun especially this larger than life size. It looks great on your bed. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment - I read each and every one of them! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...