Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The BIG Swoon Reveal!

The day has finally come - I can share my biggest finish with you all!  That's right - my Swoon is done and dusted!  I managed to bind it on the weekend, and Saturday night, got my little minions to work, using muscles they never thought they had.  This baby is HEAVY!  I could have waited for delightful sunshine and dry skies - but you wouldn't have seen photos of it for about a month - Melbourne's Winter is in full force at present!  So, without further ado - here she is - "Swoon".....

Swoon finished!

Bella the cat appreciates a good quilt when she sees one.

Swoon finished!

Minion's muscles fading fast.  I LOVE how the pieced back shines.  And I LOVE the fact that you can hardly tell where I have joined the prints!

Swoon Finished!

But most of all, I LOVE the beautiful quilting that Jeanette over at Gone Aussie Quilting did for me!  This is the first time I have sent a quilt away to be quilted.  It took me days of looking at digital designs, making a short list, and then asking my quilty friends for their votes, before I went with this vine design.  It is literally PERFECT in every sense.  I didn't want a dense quilting pattern, I wanted it to skim over the blocks and not take away from their brilliance.  I think my choice has achieved that!

Swoon Finished!

And here it is on our queen size bed.  I took a gazillion 50 photos that night, but thought I would spare you!  I could sit and look at this quilt all day, but alas, I have other quilts to make now.

Through the process of making my Swoon, I've had many people ask me if it is a difficult pattern?  My answer?  It really is a fairly simply pattern to make.  It is made up of HST's and Geese, and a bunch of squares and rectangles.  The cutting for the blocks is a little tedious, but once I made the first block, I then worked on three blocks at a time, chain piecing them to make the process run smoother.  The blocks then came together relatively quickly.  In fact, I made all nine blocks in around four days.  Yes, they were big days, but it's very do-able!

In the details:  Machine pieced and machine bound.  SIZE - The finished size of the pattern is 80" x 80", I made my sashing 5" wide, which brought the finished size up to 90" x 90".  As you can see, that is plenty big for a queen size bed!  It will shrink up a few inches on its first wash, and will still be big enough.  FABRIC - I used Notting Hill by Joel Dewberry.  I bought the entire fat quarter collection - which you can still get HERE, HERE and HERE (just to name a few!).  This pattern is perfect for fat quarters - you only need 18 in total.  QUILTING - Jeanette from Gone Aussie Quilting is situated in New South Wales.  I posted the front and back to her, and she supplied the batting.  She has a TONNE of digital designs to choose from for her edge to edge service.  And she has a fabulous special price for quilting Swoon quilts.  And she's also super quick!  If you're in the USA, there is a special quilting offer for edge to edge quilting from a lady in New York.  If you join the Swooning on a Hop Along Flickr group HERE you will find that offer too.  And if you want to buy the pattern for yourself, you can find it HERE.

So.  Where to now?  More quilting I guess!

I'm linking up with Sew Cute Tuesday AND Show & Tell Tuesday - You can too!

Better Off Thread


24 comments:

  1. Oh. Midge.

    I thought I'd have a witty and/or interesting comment once you had finished, but I'm just sitting here in awe, letting the flies in.

    That quilt is magnificent!

    And the quilting on top is the perfect choice, I LOVE it. I've seen some swoons taken over by fussy quilting in the negative space, and I was certainly not a fan. This, it's just perfect <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt is a complete stunner! Congrats! And the quilting is beautiful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I'm glad I didn't miss the big reveal. The fabrics, the quilting, everything is just right. Wel done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, this is stunning. The quilting is amazing!! Notting Hill is such a gorgeous fabric range and such a fab choice for this. Makes me want to carry on with mine now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, this is absolutely beautiful and the quilting is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet swoon, Ms Midge! Really wonderful quilting design choice too! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! The colors are so refreshing and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous - really love the quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I have commented on your swoon throughout a few of your progress posts, but I just cannot resist one more chance to tell you how gorgeous it is! I love the pieced backing, too!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you shared this at Needle and Thread Thursday as well!

      :) Kelly

      Delete
  10. Well Midge, you didn't disappoint! Your Swoon is absolutely gorgeous. The quilting is exquisite! Thank you so much for pointing me to Lily Bella Fabrics! I have already placed an order.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An absolutely beautiful Swoon. Love the Notting Hill fabrics too - they look perfect in this quilt. You must feel very proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt looks fantastic Melissa. Swoon is on my to do list for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful...love the fabrics and the quilting...this pattern has been on my list to do ever since I first saw it...you have inspired me to go look for fabrics to start...and it is good to find another blog from Melbourne...you have another new follower....LindaBatz

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too love the moment when we put a finished quilt on a bed!!! I too agree with everyone: your quilt is awesome!
    Val from myplvl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is gorgeous! I have been thinkingn about making one of these for my bed. Yours is inspiring me to buy the pattern that Camille has on sale right now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness! The quilt is beautiful! And you did pick the perfect quilting design. Just lovely!! Swoon blocks are definitely on my to-do list. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it!!! So beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Swoon looks amazing! I am five block in...can't wait to have mine on my bed too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is my favorite swoon. I have never had a desire to make one, until now. Beautifully done!
    Happy sewing ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment - I read each and every one of them! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...