Friday, March 1, 2013

T.G.I.F.F. #8 - A Productive Week!

I've had a rather productive week.  This is what happens when you have a change in work roster which leaves you with one Wednesday out of four not working.  And also helps that you have no children home two days a week either!

I posed a question to my lovely Facebook "followers" last week -

"Good morning! I have a question for you all! If you've been reading my blog, and been taking note here on my page, you will have noted that I have become rather "obsessed" with quilting? I would dearly love to sell some of my quilts, as I make them, and am curious whether You - as lovers of handmade - would consider buying a handmade quilt, something that is one of a kind and takes many hours - as a quality investment? The quilts I've made for family and friends, are made with the intent that they will be loved and used for a lifetime - so I'm wondering if others would see them that way too? ♥ Would LOVE your feedback!"

Well, they gave me their feedback, and it was extremely positive!  So that evening I decided I would make a quilt and actually time myself how long it takes, so I could then hopefully work out some pricing for when the time comes to actually sell one!

I took out the delicious "Little Apples" Jelly Roll and then looked up a tutorial I had seen over at Samelia's Mum.  You can find the tutorial HERE.  I did change it up a little.  I knew that I would be using some of the strips for binding, so made up the length with a few small rows of white underneath each of the moss green strips, and I also added 2.5" strips on the top and bottom.  I also didn't cut the strips in half once all sewn together.  I wanted the prints on each individual strip to stand out.  This quilt really is a breeze to put together!

Little Apples quilt
Little Apples Strip Quilt
Little Apples Quilt
Lots of "meandering" around the strips!
Little Apples Quilt
The back - You can see all the straight line quilting along the strips, and then I chose to do the lovely squiggles and loops around the edges.  Oh, and my husband asked why there was a grey rectangle on the back?  Ummmm, well because I ran out of the white, and thought it looked good! 
apples5
I used almost a complete jelly roll on the quilt top, but left seven strips aside for the binding.  I love it!

Once finished, I worked out that it took me around ten hours from start to finish!  Half of that time was taken up with the actual quilting.  So based on that, I was able to work out how much I could price my quilts at.  I am very pleased freaking happy to tell you that I got a custom order for a single bed quilt the same day I worked it all out!  Yay!
Then on Tuesday, I decided I needed to make a gift.  I had seen a beautiful dresden cushion that Gemma made over at Pretty Bobbins, so went and found the tutorial and as usual, dived right in!  I showed you my first attempt and this one in progress on Wednesday, but here is the finished product!  I am absolutely thrilled with how it has turned out!

Finished!
Dresden Cushion
Love hearts
I was surprised to learn that I could in fact FMQ love hearts!  Amazing!
The back featuring some yummy @katespain Terrain
And the back.  I keep forgetting all the "scraps" I have hidden away in bags, and actually found about 1/4 yard of this divine Terrain print.  Woot woot!

Now, it's not perfect by any means.  I stuffed up the binding by cutting it 2" instead of 2.5", so it was very tight to put on.  And then, whilst stupidly trimming the batting after I had already sewn the binding on one side, I accidentally cut over the edged of the fabric fold, which should form a perfect mitred corner.  I could have cried.  I was able to remedy it, somewhat, but it's taught me to step away from the rotary cutter at times!

So there you have it!  A few Friday finishes!  Have you had any triumphs this week?

I'm linking up with Quokka Quilts today!

11 comments:

  1. Wow, way to go! That's awesome you got your first order. And, oh how I love Little Apples! Your quilt looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Dresden cushion cover! The colours are just beautiful! The quilt is lovely too :) good on you for timing yourself! I never do that and I always make things mor complicated than necessary which isn't really great when it comes to pricing lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic that the quilts are taking off and I love that cushion well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, great pillow! and the Lil apples are fab too! thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quilt and cushion cover! I've awarded you the Liebster award. Information is on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go on the custom order! Your quilt and cushion are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both of these - great work and very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finishes. And congrats on the custom order!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your dresden. I saw Gemma's when she finished hers, and now seeing yours... I think I might have to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so sweet! Love your hearts in the corners. Very pretty fabrics in the dresden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a bright and fun cushion! I really like the heart quilting too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment - I read each and every one of them! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...